Pedalling the regal playground
6 Days / 5 Nights
Veigné (Montbazon) to Tours
Visiting the Loire Valley with your kids is akin to a trip through a fairy tale. The backyard to royalty since the Middle Ages, you’ll love the “garden of France” for its verdant forests, impenetrable solitude and centuries-old elegance. The kids will love it for the canoeing, the swordplay (supervised and totally safe, we promise!) and the sprawling fields of sunflowers fit for a romp. Together you’ll love it for the great food, fantastic biking and the luxury château. Everybody wins!
Trip designed by Travel Expert Olivier Maillard
Day by Day
Ride along the majestic Loire River to the Castle of Villandry before the kids head off to make bird houses with a local naturalist while parents keep riding.
Ride through the idyllic landscape of the Indre Valley towards the 16thC medieval village of Crissay sur Manse, considered one of the most beautiful villages in France. This afternoon, parents bike to the hotel for some relaxation before a gastronomic experience at the hotel’s restaurant, while the kids will be whisked off for some horseback riding followed by a crepe-making lesson and dinner.
Kids have a short ride before hopping on canoes to drift down the Vienne River towards Chinon. Parents bike to the same city, stopping to enjoy a wine tasting along the way. Lunch will be on board the traditional boat “La Chinonaise.”
Visit the Royal Abbey of Fontévraud and enjoy a spectacular picnic lunch in a privately owned Chapel from the 12thC. Later, kids experience the rope course in St Benoit la Fôret and everyone enjoys a Michelin-starred dinner.
Adults and kids enjoy a beautiful ride to the châteaux of Ussé and Langeais. In the afternoon, while parents keep biking, kids try their hand at fencing with a fully-qualified national fencing master.
Enjoy a farewell breakfast at the hotel in Saint Patrice, then au revoir in St-Pierre-des-Corps for connections to Paris.
What’s included? Everything you need. Plus everything you’d want. Plus a few things you never knew you wanted ‘til you got them.
In a word: everything. In ninety words? Signature B&R guides; local experts; unique, unforgettable biking and walking routes; private tours; authentic local cuisine; lessons and demonstrations; local artisanal wines; wine tastings; all victuals and libations; all the endorphins you can handle; new insight; interesting, fun and like-minded travel companions; a feeling of total freedom. In short: an extraordinary, hassle-free journey of discovery.
- Five nights hotel accommodation
- All breakfasts, four lunches, four dinners, including wine
- Services of B&R guides and support vans— there are extra vans and guides family trips for more support
- Kids’ supervised activities
- All special events and private tours
- Use of a customized hybrid or a racing bike with drop bars, equipped with handlebar bag and helmet
- Children’s equipment, including tandems, trailers, helmets and bikes (Please note: parents wishing to pull a tandem or trailer must use a hybrid bike)
- Detailed maps, route suggestions and water bottle
- All baggage transportation
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service
- Downloadable GPS routes, provided via RideWithGPS (app available for Apple or Android)